- Vetrina Toscana - https://www.vetrina.toscana.it/en/ -

Schiacciata con l`uva

Fresh pastries and bakery, biscuit, confectionary and pastry products;

1. Product name:
Schiacciata con l`uva

2. Other names:

3. Short product description:
Schiacciata con l`uva is a rectangular cake with a brownish colour that comes from the red wine grape berries used. It can be made with two layers, filled with grapes. It has a soft texture and tastes like bread and sweet grapes. It’s made in September, when the grapes are ripe. The grapes, usually Sangiovese, and extra virgin olive oil are locally sourced.

4. Production area:
Province of Firenze.

5. Production status:
r disappeared r at risk r active

6. Production process:
s The “0” flour is mixed with extra virgin olive oil, fresh yeast and water to get a focaccia dough
s The dough is rolled out by hand
s It’s filled with the first layer of grape berries and sugar
s Another layer of dough is placed on top
s It’s covered with berries and sugar
s It’s baked in the oven for 40-50 minutes, until the sugar starts to caramelise.

7. Materials, equipment and premises used for production:
s Work surface
s Baking tray
s Oven

8. Notes on traditionalism, homogeneity of spread and persistence of production rules over time:
The product owes its traditional character to the combination of ingredients and method, which have remained unchanged over time. The product is tied to the peasant traditions and the wine harvest. The unique taste comes from the red wine grapes produced from indigenous vines and Tuscan extra virgin olive oil. Without stabilisers, the product doesn’t have a long shelf life.

9. Production:
There are more than 100 bakeries in the province of Florence that produce schiacciata con l`uva for a total quantity of 800-1,000 tonnes a year. Sales are made exclusively in the area, 70% is sold directly at the bakery, while the remaining 30% is sold in local stores. Production is limited to September and October, during which some Florentine towns (above all Chianti) organize feasts dedicated to the schiacciata con l`uva and young wine.

Fresh pastries and bakery products, biscuits, pastry and confectionery
Zona di produzione

La schiacciata con l’uva è tipica del territorio fiorentino.