Olio extravergine di oliva Chianti Classico DOP


Chianti Classico oil has an ancient tradition as handed down from generation to generation. The production of olive oil experienced strong impetus over the years for reasons of nutrition, religion (rites and ceremonies required the use of olive oil) and demographic increase. Thus, large areas of forest were turned into vineyards and olive cultivation, helping to create the extraordinary landscape that exists between Florence and Siena. Special recognition was given to the production area by Grand Duke Cosimo III in 1716 for the area’s olive and grape production quality. In 1819, the “Trattato teorico-pratico completo sull’ulivo” (“The complete theoretical-practical treatise on olive”) by G. Tavanti made note of the main cultivars present in the Chianti Classico territory.
Olio extravergine di oliva Chianti Classico is produced from olives grown in orchards listed in the register. At least 80% of the olives belong to one of four varieties: Frantoi, Cerreggiolo, Moraiolo, Leccino, either singly or in combination; the remaining 20% from other varieties cultivated in the area. This oil, with its unique flavour and tradition, is the result of this harmonious balance among these different olives.
The colour of Olio extravergine di oliva Chianti Classico ranges from bright green to greenish with golden highlights, it has a definite olive-oil scent that is also fruity and a spicy, slightly bitter taste. Its distinctive aroma makes this oil excellent on salads, legume or vegetable soups and traditionally Tuscan dishes such as ribollita and panzanella.



Categoria
Fats (butter, margarine, oils)Products DOP e IGP exclusively tuscan
Zona di produzione

La zona di produzione dell’olio Chianti Classico DOP si estende a numerosi comuni in provincia di Siena e Firenze e corrisponde a quella del vino Docg “Chianti Classico”.

Consorzio di tutela

CONSORZIO OLIO DOP CHIANTI CLASSICO
Via Sangallo, 41 – Loc. Sambuca
50028 Tavarnelle Val di Pesa (FI) – Italy
tel.: +39 055 8228544 – +39 055 8228539
fax: +39 055 8228535
e-mail: oliodop@chianticlassico.com
web: www.oliodopchianticlassico.com